Best Vegan Quinoa Salad
Prepare for a wonderfully tasty quinoa salad.
It keeps well in the fridge, and actually tastes better when served cold.
The ingredients for this recipe can be adjusted to taste, but I like mine as follows.
- 200g quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 squash
- 90g sun-dried tomatoes (adjust to taste)
- half a red chili
- 30g scallions
- 200g tofu
- 40g cashews
When it comes to the tofu you need to get the good stuff, not that jello-like Silken stuff you'll find in most stores. If you go to a health store you can find tofu that has been infused with delicious taste and is very firm. For this recipe I recommend either a slightly spicy tofu or one with tomatoes and olives.
- Rinse the quinoa well in cold water.
- Boil the quinoa on medium to high heat with two parts water to one part quinoa. Stir every now and then, and make sure it doesn't burn. When done right it should be appropriately cooked when there's little to no water left. However, add more water and boil for a while longer if it still tastes hard, but be careful not to make it too soggy.
- Slice and dice the squash. Cook in olive oil on medium to high heat for a few minutes.
- Chop the bell pepper.
- Slice and dice the cucumber.
- Dice the tofu.
- Slice the tomatoes in half.
- Place the sun dried tomatoes the chili and the scallions in a food processor and mix them together until they become almost like a paste. Remember to seed the chili first.
- Put the cashews in a food processor and mix until it becomes almost like big grains of sand.
- Provided the quinoa is ready and any excess water has been drained, throw it into a mixing bowl together with everything else except the cashews. Mix well.
Sprinkle desired amount of cashews on top of each serving. Enjoy!
This recipe yields 4 servings.